Data Center Migration
Data Center Migration
On-premises data centers were once considered the backbone of modern infrastructure, but times have definitely changed. Organizations are feeling the constraints of tightened IT budgets. Ever increasing user demands and always present security concerns are always top of mind. Now, IT teams are turning to cloud and hybrid environments or managed data centers as more viable and cost efficient options.
When it comes time to migrate critical assets, IT stakeholders and decision makers must have the utmost understanding of historical capacity and utilization patterns, among other key considerations. Leveraging Galileo Performance Explorer’s advanced infrastructure performance monitoring tools will ensure the success of your next data center migration.
Top considerations for data center migrations
There are a few critical elements that should be taken into account in data center migration plans:
- Current usage in the existing data center
- Applications and assets included in the migration (It’s best to move applications one at a time to reduce risks for performance and usability.)
- Ensuring visibility throughout the migration process to account for all critical elements
Supporting streamlined data center migrations
A data center migration can be a dauntingly complex initiative… but it doesn’t have to be. With Galileo Performance Explorer, organizations have the predictive insight and granular control necessary to streamline the process while supporting key systems and assets and ensure a successful migration.
- Monitor your infrastructure using Galileo to provide a 30-day (or longer) snapshot to identify usage patterns, trends and spikes in demand.
- Virtually group your assets using Galileo Tag Manager, identifying specific servers and storage assets that will be moved to the new environment.
- Establish your baseline for your grouped assets, including metrics such as IOPS, latency, and throughput. Galileo’s predictive analytics and intelligent thresholds provide a view into potentially necessary actions to support smooth operations.
- Specify bandwidth requirements using the network activity metrics Galileo provides for your virtually grouped assets.
- Right-size your technology using the trended utilization data Galileo provides, ensuring more balanced workloads and an efficient use of resources.
- Monitor as you move, transitioning the least critical applications first while gleaning insights into performance throughout the process.
- Assess post-migration results. Galileo provides ongoing monitoring and insight into the new environment to allow you to be strategically proactive with future initiatives.
With Galileo Performance Explorer, IT teams can leverage the infrastructure configuration that make the most sense for their organization’s unique utilization and demands. Streamline and support your most crucial assets during the transition and ensure top-notch performance after migration has been completed.
What do our customers say?
Before Galileo, we had multiple monitoring tools, and none were capable of monitoring every single asset that we have. We weren’t able to accurately measure because our tools were all over the place.
Now we have all of the information we need in one spot, which is pretty cool.
Galileo’s IT dashboards act as a crystal ball across our IT enterprise. We’ve already dramatically reduced our decision-making time.
We are better able to defer new storage hardware purchases and balance our storage needs across what we already own.